Mesratha Free Trade Zone (MFTZ)
is sometimes spelt as
Misurata, Mesrata, Mesratha, Musrata and Musratha.
Musrata is the name used by the Libyan
Tourism Board. The /s/ and the /t/, in Musrata, are both emphatic sounds (Mes'rat'a).
The present form of the name, Mesratha,
according to some sources, comes from the name of the tribe that settled the
area. The original settlement of Mesratha goes back to the time of the Phoenicians
(about 1000 BC) and probably before that. Mesratha's ancient name was
Tobakt, which considering the location of /t/ at the beginning
and the end of the name, one can easily deduce its Berber origin.
In fact Mesratha itself was a Berber settlement until about 200 years ago.
The Mesratha Free Trade Zone was created by the General
People's Committee as set in Law 495 of year
and was amended by Law 32 of year 2006. The zone
is currently occupying 430 hectares including a portion
of the Port of Mesratha. On January 16th, 2006, Lyamec (The Libyan American Corporation)
has formally received the approval of Mesratha free
trade zone to establish a 24,000 sq. ft. manufacturing and distribution facility
Arabic Copies of Law
32 of year 2006
view larger images of Law 32 of year 2006,
please click on the following thumbnails:
Libyanfreetradezone.com © 2006- 2014. All rights reserved.